Whee! YouTube videos are now starting to show next to the search results in Google:
Here’s what I did:
Couple of useful links:
Remember that indexing can take a while (even weeks)!
Just noticed that I had descriptions missing from the video sitemap That is now fixed.
I also took JWPlayer into use. Now all of the YouTube videos are played through a player on my site so I’m hoping that will help Google index the videos better (since they don’t yet support indexing YouTube videos directly).
Created rating system and rich snippets for exercises, routines and weight journals! This is also a part of my SEO attemps, because Gymling’s visibility on Google is still pretty low. Here are couple urls that helped me a lot:
Youtube embedded videos are still not showing on Google search results. I’m pretty this is because they are not hosted on my server. I have a plan for this also, but more on that later
Had a few bugs in the sitemap created last week When calling rails url helpers with additional parameter array, the parameters are automatically escaped, e.g.
exercise_path(@exercise, :arr => [1, 2])
will produce the following string:
So because of this I had them double encoded and Google Webmaster Tools only picked up only the first parameter.
I now gotta wait couple of days to see how Google will like the new sitemap
Noticed that normal users could not start new threads on forums, but it’s now fixed I’m also working with the “add a new exercise” functionality. It will be finished before the end of this week I think. Then I can complete Starting Strength – Week 1 and Week 2 routines.
Created sitemaps for Google and Bing. Here are couple of useful urls:
I splitted the sitemap into two files – one for English and one for Finnish:
I also added a sitemap index file that can be added to Google and Bing webmaster tools:
There’s a gotcha in defining the schemas: If you use the schemas from Google’s examples, Google webmaster tools will give you “Incorrect namespace” error. Use these instead: